I have personally found that as my pets age this becomes even more important.
Pet healthcare has become just as confusing as the human model with its corporate owed vet practices and expensive technology.
Here is what i found works.
- If at all possible look for a practice that is owned by a vet on staff. Corporate owned practices do not give flexibility to their employees to put pet before profit. It is also difficult to create a relationship with a vet since as employees they come and go.
- It’s very important that the pet feel comfortable with the vet. While no pet loves the trip to the vet and will protest, there are instances where its more than this. Trust your pet.
- The vet is willing to revisit a diagnosis and is not afraid to admit not being sure.
- Is open minded to holistic and alternative therapies.
- Does not prescribe the latest and greatest tests and or drug just because it exists.